CMAQv5.0 Two-way model release notes
- 1 WRF-CMAQ September 2012 revision release notes
- 2 WRF-CMAQ Two-way model release notes (2/22/2012)
WRF-CMAQ September 2012 revision release notes
A new robust coupling scheme was implemented in the two-way CMAQ model and the stencil exchange (stenex) library. The September 2012 release includes both the two-way source codes and updated stenex codes. Follow the build process described below and link in this new version of the stenex library during the WRF-CMAQ build.
WRF-CMAQ Two-way model release notes (2/22/2012)
David Wong, Jon Pleim and Rohit Mathur
- This version of the two-way model is built using WRF 3.3 and CMAQ 5.0. It requires the latest libraries: IOAPI version 3.1, STENEX and PARIO.
- It only supports CAM and RRTMG radiation schemes.
- This two-way model does not support saprc99 and AE5.
Aerosol information for direct feedback effect:
All three modes of seven components: water soluble mass (mass_ws), water insoluble mass (mass_wi), elemental carbon (mass_ec), sea salt (mass_ss), water (mass_h2o), diameters and standard deviations are passed to WRF to affect the radiation calculation directly.
water soluble: mass_ws (i mode) = ASO4I + ANH4I + ANO3I mass_ws (j mode) = ASO4J + ANH4J + ANO3J + AMGJ + AKJ + ACAJ mass_ws (k mode) = 0.0 water insoluble: mass_wi (i mode) = APOCI + AOTHRI + APNCOMI mass_wi (j mode) = AALKJ + AXYL1J + AXYL2J + AXYL3J + ATOL1J + ATOL2J + ATOL3J + ABNZ1J + ABNZ2J + ABNZ3J + AOLGAJ + APOCJ + ATRP1J + ATRP2J + AISO1J + AISO2J + AISO3J + ASQTJ + AOLGBJ + AOTHRJ + APNCOMJ + AFEJ + AALJ + ASIJ + ATIJ + AMNJ mass_wi (k mode) = ACORS + ASOIL elemental carbon: mass_ec (i mode) = AECI mass_ec (j mode) = AECJ mass_ec (k mode) = 0.0 sea salt: mass_ss (i mode) = 0.0 mass_ss (j mode) = ANAJ + ACLJ mass_ss (k mode) = ACLK + ASO4K + ASECAT water: mass_h2o (i mode) = AH2OI mass_h2o (j mode) = AH2OJ mass_h2o (k mode) = AH2OK
General run time setting:
- NUM_LAND_USE_TYPE -- number of land use types: MODIS is 20, USGS is 24, NLCD is 50 (make sure the WRF portion of the run script contains num_land_cat in the namelist physics section)
- rad_option -- radiation scheme: 3 = CAM, 4 = RRTMG
- radt -- WRF radiation scheme dt in minutes
Run time environment variable:
|RUN_CMAQ_DRIVER||turn on CMAQ portion of the twoway model (default is F)|
|DO_SW_CAL||turn on short-wave feedback calculation (default is F)|
|WRF_CMAQ_FREQ||WRF and CMAQ calling frequency (default is 1) e.g. setting to 4 would couple WRF and CMAQ every 4th WRF step|
|WRF_COL_DIM||WRF west_east_stag dimension size|
|WRF_ROW_DIM||WRF south_north_stag dimension size|
|WRF_LAY_DIM||WRF bottom_top_stag dimension size|
||number of columns in the CMAQ domain|
|CMAQ_ROW_DIM||number of rows in the CMAQ domain|
|TWOWAY_DELTA_X||distance between the WRF and CMAQ lower left corner in the x-direction (default is 5)|
|TWOWAY_DELTA_Y||distance between the WRF and CMAQ lower left corner in the y-direction (default is 5)|
|IOAPI_OFFSET_64||turn on 64bit offset in IOAPI library (default is F)|
|DO_LW_CAL||turn on long-wave feedback calculation (default is F)|
|CREATE_PHYSICAL_FILE||create intermediate meteorological data for diagnostic purposes (default is F)|
|WRF_LC_REF_LAT||Lambert conformal reference latitude|
|FILE_TIME_STEP||time step size of the physical meteorological output file (default = 10000)|
|SD_TIME_SERIES||turn on sub-domain monitoring capability (default is F)|
|SD_SCOL||sub-domain starting column|
|SD_ECOL||sub-domain ending column|
|SD_SROW||sub-domain starting row|
|SD_EROW||sub-domain ending row|
|SD_CONC_SPCS||sub-domain monitoring species list|
Two-way model construction procedure:
1. Download WRF 3.3 and unzip it (recommend command: tar xfz the_zip_file) At the end of this step, you will see a new directory WRFV3 and rename it to WRFV33 2. Go through regular building CMAQ model process. Locate BLD_* directory, rename it to cmaq50 and move it to WRFV33. 3. Download twoway.tar.gz and unzip it. A twoway directory is formed and move it inside WRFV33 4. Go into directory WRFV33 and execute the following command: twoway/assemble This command will update all necessary files in WRF and CMAQ to create the two-way model. You can find the original file inside twoway/misc/orig directory. 5. Download IOAPI_3.1, latest PARIO and STENEX and install them 6. Configure WRF by typing configure (this will create configure.wrf file) (If you have never done WRF configure before, here are some guidelines: * if the configure script does not find the NETCDF path, follow the prompt to enter the explicit NETCDF include path and library path * choose the appropriate supported platform * in the compile for nesting section, choose the default value) 7. Define the following environment variables: FC (compiler you will use, at this point, we only support pgi and ifort) IOAPI (path of the ioapi 3.1 library, e.g. /home/wdx/lib/x86_64/ifc/ioapi_3.1) PARIO (path of the PARIO library, e.g. /home/wdx/lib/x86_64/ifc/pario_3.1) STENEX (path of the STENEX library, e.g. /home/wdx/lib/x86_64/ifc/se_snl) MPI_INC (path of the mpif.h, e.g. /usr/local/intel/impi/3.2.2.006/include64) Type the following command: twoway/reconfigure 8. compile the code by typing "compile em_real >& mylog"
Running the two-way model:
A one day tutorial dataset is available at the CMAS site for download. A run script, wrf_em.queue.16b-CA-sf-5-1-v3350_rrtmg is included in this tutorial dataset package.
"WRF-CMAQ two-way coupled system with aerosol feedback: software development and preliminary results": Wong et al., 2011, Geoscientific Model Development. It is available for download at: http://www.geosci-model-dev.net/5/299/2012/
For an overview of the 2-way Coupled WRF-CMAQ see: http://www.cmascenter.org/conference/2011/slides/mathur_overview_two-way_2011.pptx
and for more details on the 2-way Coupled WRF-CMAQ system see: http://www.cmascenter.org/conference/2011/slides/wong_wrf-cmaq_two-way_2011.pptx